<VV> FOR Sale

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Apr 7 07:00:07 EDT 2009

Good one!  Going just a little farther back in history:

Just after WWII someone noticed that the wife a Buick
executive [Sorry, I can remember neither his or her name right
now :-( ] always ordered a convertible for her personal car but
never put the top down.   When asked why she said she preferred
the low flat look of the convertible over the bulbous look of the steel
tops.

Buick division then ordered Fisher Body to develop a convertible
styled hard topped body which became known as a hardtop
convertible ... over time the 'convertible' part of the name was
dropped but the 'hardtop' part lives on today.

Fisher Body was master of 'interchangeability' in their tooling so
there was no trick to adapting existing tooling to make the new
style.
Ken P