<VV> degrading terminology, was: FOR SALE

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 6 14:32:28 EDT 2009

And let us not forget that the Brits call a wagon a "shooting brake". My
Gawd, where on earth did they get THAT term?

So much for trying to compare British terms with US automobile industry
standard terminology.

For the record, American industry standard terminology dictates that a
"sedan" is any car with a full-length, rocker to roof "B" pillar,
regardless of the number of doors. A hardtop is a car that has a fixed
steel roof, but the "B" pillar doesn't go higher than the beltline, and
thus doesn't meet the roof. Today, virtually ALL new cars can be properly
called sedans.

Smitty, you can argue all you want, but it's YOU who's in error.

This despite the fact that it's Chevrolet marketing (and I give them the
responsibility for it) that screwed up the public's perception of what a
"sedan" really is. Chevy marketing called the 4door hardtop a "sport
sedan", despite that fact that wasn't really a sedan. It was simply a
marketing ploy, just like the word "sport", even though the car wasn't a
"sport" anything. It was simply that the hardtop was considered sportier
than its sedan counterpart.

So yes, I am correct in observing that there were NO late model Corvair
sedans.

Personally, I don't like having the "sedan" misused on the LM Corvairs,
because, historically, the hardtop models were always the premium body
style. Take for instance the '57 Chevy lineup. There were 150 and 210 model
4door and 2door sedans, along with Bel Air model 4door and 2door sedans and
2door and 4door hardtops (along with the wagons and converts). The hardtops
were the premium body style. Even thru the '60's this was true. So to call
a LM Corvair a "sedan" is to degrade its value. And haven't others degraded
Corvairs enough, without fellow Corvair enthusiasts degrading each others'
cars?

-Mark

Sedan