<VV> those pesky fuel pumps!!

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Apr 6 14:46:11 EDT 2009

For some time (back about 20 years ago when fuel pumps had many more
issues than they do today) one of the issues was that apparently some
manufacturer used both '60/61 pumps (with a long push rod) and '61+
pumps (with the shorter push rod) to develop their rebuilt units... not
knowing that they were dealing with two different styles of pumps, they
(again, apparently) used an average length... to long for the later cars
which resulted in early failures of the diaphragm (this was in addition
to the bad diaphragms being used). So a good tech tip back them was
grinding off a bit of the pump rod to bring it back to appropriate specs...

But this is ancient history and unless the failed pumps are all 20 year
old NAPA/FLAPS units from the parts archives, you're not likely to have
either of these issues... but those 20 year old pumps are still out
there in places.... so this is a product I would never buy from anyone
but a Corvair vendor...

Bill