<VV> degrading terminology, was: FOR SALE

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 16:12:24 EDT 2009

A brake is a small horse-drawn buggy. A shooting brake was one that you went
shooting in. Then people fitted engines to them.

> Calling a LM 4door HARDTOP a (mere) "sedan" implies that it is a
> less-valued car, rather than a premium-valued car

Well, wasn't the 500 sedan the cheapest home-built car on the American
market at one point? That seems about right then!

No, this is completely wrong, I'm afraid. A sedan is a car with 4 seats, and
it doesn't matter if it has pillars or not (as I said elsewhere, anyway, how
do you categorise cars like my Lancia Appia, which are pillarless with
suicide doors but have pillars in the doors? The sides are much more open
when they are open than any Corvair, but when the doors are closed they look
like a regular car).

And as I said, the mistake is Chevy's - 'Sport' or not!

Cheers

Alan