<VV> Fw: those pesky fuel pumps!!

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 20:39:48 EDT 2009

What is it about fuel pumps that ignites this list? It's sure not the
ethanol laced gasoline we have to use.

Everyone has a story about fuel pumps, and I do too. I never had any
problems before I rebuilt my current car and installed a new pump
purchased from Clarks in 2006. That pump worked fine (with a matching
pushrod), except it generated 10+ PSI at idle. So, I followed the advice
given by Matt Nall and others and cut the spring until it started
generating a nice steady 3 PSI. No problems for a year and a half. Then
it quit last February. I borrowed a new mechanical pump from a friend.
It would not pump using the engine. However it would pump when I worked
it up and down using my hand (and it too cut off at 10 psi). When I
pulled it out I noticed that the plunger extended at least .15 " longer
than the one I replaced. I verified that the p/n was for a late model,
plugged it back into the motor, and still it would not pump. Got the car
home, and installed an electric pump, fuel pump controller and inertia
switch. Overkill? Maybe. Problem solved? Hopefully.

Do I know the root cause? No. Do I care. No. I returned the slightly
used pump with a word of thanks and caution to my friend. I am an
engineer who always wants to know the cause of a problem. But, it's
beautiful here in Arlington, Texas, and I simply want to drive my
convertible. Which I am doing now.

Hopefully it will be a few more iterations of this email thread before I
have any additional updates to make.

jack kean
Arlington, Texas
68 Monza Convertible, 140 4 speed