<VV> Transmission Issues

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Thu Apr 9 17:58:38 EDT 2009

VVers:

I had an unfortunate experience today.

I have been enjoying the salt-free streets and driving my my '66 Corsa
Coupe (140, 4sp) on a 120-mile round trip to a new client.  I have made
this trip every day this week.  This morning, I was about 20 miles into
the trip when the car seemed to completely lose power.  I hadn't been
paying much attention, so my eyes went to the tach (normal), then the
temperature gauge (normal), made a quick check to see there were no
idiot lights (none), and then back to the road.  I convinced myself that
because I was wearing leather-soled work shoes that my foot had slipped
off the accelerator and the car simply slowed momentarily.  I was
vigilant for the rest of the trip and made it to my destination with
nothing unusual happening.

On the ride home, after about 40-45 miles of highway speeds, I started
to smell a new smell that I couldn't put my finger on.  I was only about
10 miles from home, so I decided to keep going.  All at once, going up a
hill, the transmission disengaged.  Before I took my foot off the
accelerator, the engine was turning freely at 3,000 rpm, but it was as
though the car was in neutral.  I down shifted from 4th to 3rd, but got
nothing.  I coasted over to the side of the road and tried to start out
again in first gear.  I got nothing but a grinding noise, so I turned it
off and called for a tow.  There were no signs of anything in the engine
compartment, other than a strong smell of what was becoming clear to me
was gear oil.

When the car was up on the flatbed, I was able to look underneath and
see that there was fluid leaking quite heavily from the transmission area.

I'm still at work, so I haven't done anything.  Other than when I tried
to shift into first after coming to a stop, there weren't any grinding
or other unusual noises.  I'd like to think I haven't done any permanent
damage, but then again, I have a completely disconnected drivetrain.
Can anyone give me some ideas of where to start looking (and fearing)?

Thanks in advance.

Steven J. Serenska