<VV> Sound Of Marbles

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Apr 10 13:00:11 EDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Smitty Smith wrote:

> Smitty Says;  Mike can't help you with the marbles but I can
> identify the tarrey residue for sure.  It is a head gasket leak.
> May be a very small one but it is nevertheless.  It is the kind that
> leaks just enough to stink up the heater on initial start but within
> seconds the gap will close up from thermal change and won't make
> itself known till the next cold start.  Good source of carbon
> monoxide if you let it go long enough.

I was thinking the same thing Smitty said. I'd re-torque the head and
see of that solved the problem before I removed it. Re-torque both
while you're at it.

Now, the question is, does a leaking head gasket have anything to do
with the marble sound? I had a leaking head gasket once on a new
engine, but it sounded like a squeak, not a marble rattle. But like
your marble sound, it went away when the engine warmed up. It would be
interesting to see if a re-torquing ends the marble sound.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina