<VV> too fast idle

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 08:46:57 EDT 2009

snipped and bottom posted

Hi Guys,
Help!!!! I am befuddled. I have a 1966 Corsa 140 and can't get my idle below 950 rpm. I have disconnected the secondaries and capped them. I have disconnected the linkage on both primaries from the accelerator rod and each other to isolate them and it still idles high even with the idle screws completely off the idle tang. The only way I can get a lower idle?speed, 600-650 rpm, is to retard the timing about 10 deg. I have a Pertronics II. Would this be affecting the timing? Do I have to back the timing off from the book setting of 18 deg BTDC? Are there any other things that I can try to get the idle down?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Jim Bennetts 1966 Corsa vert. 140 4-spd
Akrom, OH

Do you use vacuum advance?

If so, Is the vacuum advance plugged into a carb port that gets full vacuum with the throttle closed?

The suggestion to verify TDC on the damper was a good one.

Here's a description of one procedure.  A "positive stop" for use on an assembled engine can be made from an old spark plug.

http://www.iskycams.com/degreeing.php

Dan T