<VV> Spray cans

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Wed Apr 15 01:21:54 EDT 2009

"these cans can rust through and burst."

My shop is actually a tent. My city code says that I can't build a
"permanent structure" within 3 feet of the property line wall. Elsewhere it
says that a tubular structure covered with fabric is "temporary".
SOOO, I have a 10'X40' tent built from 2" fence pipes and covered with
silver tarp all wedged in between the house and the property line wall. I
replace the tarp every 5 years or so for about $60.00 and a day's work. Both
ends are framed in and I have "barn doors" on one end. Power is provided by
a 240V, 60 amp electrical panel and all wires are in water-tight EMT
conduit. The panel plugs into an outside RV GFI outlet, thus the power is
"temporary" and not subject to code inspection. I did however install it all
using the applicable electrical codes except for the plug in panel; safety
first.

Anyway, several years ago I procrastinated replacing the tarp. It rained and
the tarp leaked all over my storage shelves, on which I stored, you guessed
it, spray paint cans. A few months ago I went out into my shop and found
that one of the spray cans had rusted through, exploded and now I have lots
of cans and shelving painted a nice color of blue. What a mess! After
cleanup, I inspected all the other cans on the shelves and found that most
of them had rust under the caps from the leak a few years ago. I packed them
all up and took them to the local hazardous waste recycling center.

Moral to the story; inspect old aerosol cans for rust before you have a mess
on your hands.

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder vert
(I won't say my city)