<VV> license plate restoration

Marc Sheridan sheridanma1966 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 19:52:59 EDT 2009

Anybody here ever restore license plates? In Ohio you can run plates that
were issued for the year of your car. I just finished a pair and it was way
more work than I anticipated. A local hot rodder told me it was easy, just
shoot the number color first, followed by the background color. Then simply
sand the numbers down to the number color and clear coat.

Let me offer suggestions from my experience. As with other projects I have
done, whenever you assume something is flat, it isn't.  I sanded all the way
to metal in spots and had to touch up with a brush. When you select plates
at the swap meet, don't buy the bargain, rusty tags for five bucks, like I
did. It is well worth the extra to get rust free straight tags. Sometimes
you can get ready to put on the car tags for thirty dollars or so, it is
worth it.

Marc Sheridan
'66 Monza 'vert with 1966 Ohio tags