<VV> license plate restoration

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Apr 19 02:41:30 EDT 2009

California will allow using the 1963 black & yellow plates on "year of
manufacturer" (63-69) vehicles this coming July. I purchased a pair of DMV
clear plates in anticipation of that. They needed refurbishment so I looked
into having it done. I found that it usually costs over $200.00.

Being the cheapskate that I am I decided to do it myself. After sandblasting
and straightening, I painted them with gloss black and baked them in the
kitchen oven. I then used a rubber laminate roller like a regular paint
roller and rolled on the yellow on the raised letters & numbers. I tried it
several times on the freshly sandblasted one to get the technique. I found
that the paint needs to be a little thick so it does not run down the side
of the letter/numbers and spoil the clean edge. I now have two pair of new
looking black & yellow plated waiting for July. One to install and one to
sell.

Dave Thompson
Yellow & Black 63 Spyder vert
(waiting to have matching plates)