<VV> Cold fusion news-no Corvair but potential source of power

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 21:27:01 EDT 2009

 Storage is still the #1 issue.
For a Corvair, a lot has to be changed. High compression, on the order of 11:1 is needed. Narrow spaces must be minimized, meaning the top of the piston, normally relieved from the cylinder wall, will get a blowtorch effect when the hydrogen/air mix flashes in there. So, the top piston diameter needs to be enlarged. The quench gap for hydrogen fueled engines is WAY narrower than for gasoline.
It also has a higher 'octane' rating, although it doesn't test the same way as gasoline.
There will be some loss of power, even though hydrogen packs about three times the energy per pound than gasoline, because it is VERY low in density. With a molecular weight of only 2, compared to 16 for NG, 44 for propane, and gasoline being even higher, well, it takes up a LOT of volume for not much weight. Some comes back due to higher thermodynamic efficiency, and turbocharging is a possibility. Hydrogen injectors are a must. A manifold of hydrogen/air is a VERY dangerous thing!