<VV> Frustration with a capital F

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Mon Apr 20 14:01:10 EDT 2009

During last summer’s Corvair Olympics, I ran only one lap in my track car at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Putnam Park.  The dreaded dropped valve seat almost ruined the whole trip.  Thanks to the generosity of Bob Dunahugh who let me co-drive his car I was able to participate in all the events.
Upon arriving home after the Olympics, I pulled the head, inspected the pistons and cylinder walls but didn’t do any tear down.  I had another head so I lapped the valves and installed it to be ready for the Summit Point event.

That turned out to be another one lap event for me.  On the first lap I was producing state wide clouds of smoke and a loud banging noise.  Again friends stepped in.  Chuck Armer and Scott let me take a few laps in the Beef Car.

Back home investigation showed that if you put a six hole valve cover on a four hole head and don’t plug the middle hole oil drips onto the headers and it SMOKES!  As for the loud banging noise I was convinced that it was the electric motor cooling fan hitting the inside of the top cover.  I saw the scrape marks.  I had forgotten to put a washer under one of the legs of the electric motor supports.  This had happened years before at Pocono when I first installed the electric fan.

So when I fired the engine two weekends ago while getting ready for the upcoming BeaveRun event, I was flabbergasted to hear what sounds like a loose rocker arm on the same side (different head) as the dropped valve seat.  No amount of adjustments stops the noise.   I removed all the rocker arms, balls, nuts and pushrod.  All look fine.

What could  have broken when the valve seat came out?  Suggested causes are broken piston from hitting the valve and the head also having a loose valve seat.  BTW the replacement head has zero hot laps on it.

Any ideas will be most welcome.