<VV> Curing my off idle "stumble"

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Mon Apr 20 23:53:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm still trying to track down an annoying off idle stumble.

The car is a 66 180 , engine rebuilt, runs fine otherwise. I have the
correct turbo distributor and a Dale advance/retard unit and I'm running the
Clarks knock eliminator with dual sensors

When I set the timing to 22-24 BTDC at idle, I can blip the throttle and
watch the timing retard by about 8 degrees (exactly as reported on Ray
Sedman's American Pi site).  I think this is the cause of the stumble.

As an experiment I pinched off the vacuum line and sure enough the ignition
doesn't retard and the stumble is significantly reduced (and the car feels
peppier)

Would running in this mode pose any problems in the long run or at highway
speeds given that I have the knock eliminator?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

.