<VV> Generator/electrical/Corvair

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 22 20:37:16 EDT 2009

Frank DuVal wrote:

>... the voltage regulator ... is just a convenient spot to apply voltage ...

Q - So, why do we call it "polarizing the regulator"?  Blame the
instructions!

A - "Do regulators need to be polarized?

No, regulators are not polarity-sensitive.
But my regulator came with instructions to polarize it...
These instructions actually polarize the generator, not the regulator.
 The regulator mfr simply wants to ensure that your generator will work
properly so you don't blame the regulator."
   http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm -- their instructions are
specific for VW's

Thanks to all for good explanations of what the vernacular means!

Stick around here and we actually learn things -- Cool!

Bill Strickland