<VV> Corvair Autocrossing and Racing

Ken Klingaman stingerken at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 23 17:40:14 EDT 2009

Henri, I'm cross posting this to FastVairs, you're sure to get more opinions.

Is the question more of 'is it more fun to get everything out of a 'stocker' or to under drive a 'Comp' car?'
Or is it 'how to go fast'?
Or is that you want a way of gaging your performance in the 'stocker' versus the 'Comp' 'Vair?

What follows is one unrepentant vehicle challenged wannabe racer opinion.
THe first person you compete against is yourself, did I get as much out of this ride today as I could? what can I do better next time, etc? So at this point both rides are the same. But the 'Comp" car will let you experience higher levels of kinethesis This is the feeling of the various accelerating forces on the body. This is where the fun is.
Build an IS "vair around your 110 auto, get the best seat you can, the best tires and wheels, and do whatever you can to keep the contact patches happy. Just do enough for the engine so it does not become a problem.
One way of gaging my performance was to let Seth Emerson drive my entry, then I used his time as a yardstick. Sometimes one has to apply some windage, so one does not feel too bad.
StingerKen Klingaman