<VV> Make-your-engine-fall-out bolt?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at unctv.org
Mon Apr 27 15:04:34 EDT 2009

I'm just getting around to some 'yearly maintenence'- changing oil filter and

fan belt.... Just bought the car a little over a year ago, so this is my first try!

Ordered the 'best top of the line' belt and filter from Clark's....

But I've noticed that it LOOKS like I'll need to remove the oil filter BEFORE

I can change the belt, as there's precious little clearance between the bottom of the

filter I've got on now ( don't know manufacturer/ model # ) and the body-work of

the car. We're talking less than a half-inch.

My initial thought was that the filter was 'wrong' and was too long/deep, but the

Clark's filter is exactly the same dimensions.

This seems wrong- shouldn't the belt be able to come off by slipping UNDER the

the end of the oil filter?

I'm feeling like the back of my engine 'sets too low' or something. Should I inspect/

tighten that famous 'will make your engine fall out' bolt?

Where do I look for that bolt?

Any other ideas? Worn engine mounts?

Sorry for the potential 'stupid newby question'... but hey, I'm a newby!

CJ Wilson

65 '500' series 110

PS: can anyone recommend a good synthetic oil. I've got ZDDP to add- so zinc content is

a moot point....