<VV> Plastic Models question

mike hicks mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 00:13:11 EDT 2009

You have to remove the chrome from the plastic on the surfaces to be
glued - or to paint for that matter.  Scraping with a knife works for
me.  If you want all the chrome off, you can soak the part in Mr. Clean
cleaner (others may work).  Chrome will come right off a few hours of
soaking.

I recently got an original 66 Corsa kit and since I'm not a collector,
I'm building it.  I was amused to find similar flaws in the original
model parts that are in the latest runs.  I had assumed the molds had
just got worn out.  The new plastic is softer and less brittle than the
old styrene.  That can be good or bad, depending on your preference.  I
like the soft stuff actually.

All the late model kits stink as far as the engine and shrouds are
concerned.  Plus it's a coupe (or sedan or whatever) but it has a
convertible back seat area.  Both are fixable but are a pain.  I really
wish I could get nicer tires and alternate wheels for these poor kits.
The ones they come with are pitifull. Still, when you're done it looks
like a Corvair - so it's not all bad.  One day, maybe I'll actually
finish one!!