<VV> terminology, was: A/C part needed

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 28 11:59:38 EDT 2009

Frank, what's a "post" car, something that belonged to the Post Office? LOL

Seriously, while I know what you mean, but there simply isn't such a thing
as a "post" car. What you mean is that it is a SEDAN. That's the definition
of the word "sedan": a car, regardless of the number of doors, that has a
full length "B" pillar extending from rocker to roof.

Also, in answer to Clark's post, the "beltline" is where the bottom of the
windows meet the body. That is the auto industry term for that body
feature. The Corvair has only the window "fuzzies" weatherstrips at the
beltline. The molding to which you're refering on the early Corvairs is the
character line molding.

The problem with NOT speaking in proper, accepted auto industry terminology
is that anything else leads to confusion. Like trying to talk to someone
who only speaks a different language, using an incorrect translation
dictionary. You simply cannot get your ideas across effectively, or
efficiently, AND you risk the consequences of being misunderstood. That's
why I occasionally try to impress the value of correct terminology on VV.

BTW, I just got the book "The Auto Review - Ultimate Collector Car Guide"
by Jim Schild. I highly recommend it to everyone. Not only does he define
common terminology, but the book includes a lot of really fascinating info
on the auto industry, particularly in relation to the old car hobby and the
restoration of cars. Even though I've been into cars for over 45 years, I
found it educational.

-Mark