<VV> (no subject)

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Apr 30 12:16:27 EDT 2009

Sure, may be anecdotal evidence.
But when my grandfather and I went to pick up his new Corvette in 1978, we
didn't want to accept it because the paint was so bad. Fit and finish? You
could see where the individual fiberglass body panels came together. Power
window came off the track before leaving the dealers lot, first time the
window was rolled down.
No Lemon law at that time, but that car ws one of the reasons a law like
that had to be made. That car went back to the dealership for more time
than it spent in his garage. Once Warranty was up, it fell to me to fix it.
during the same period, I had a succession of GM "used cars" that were
nothing but junk.
went back to the Blue Oval, Mopar, and even AMC and did not have the
problems I had with GM products. and all the time, I still had my Corvairs.

My Uncle inherited that Corvette, and it is still junk and a money pit.
I got my grandfather's 73 T-Bird that the dealer offered peanuts for at
trade in time on the vette. T-Bird is still going strong............The
Corvette even had the frame rot out........Constant brake problems, and
leaked more fluids than any Corvair ever dreamed of.

What I was trying to get across.........poor product, and lousy service,
drives the customer base away. In my case, they lost a customer for life.
Think that has not happened with others?

Gary Swiatowy

From: Kenneth E Pepke <kenpepke at juno.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> GM press release OMG!

Everyone has opinion but, admit it or not, most opinions are based
on advertising.  The objective of advertising is to influence opinion
and advertisement people know how to accomplish their goals.
GM, and I assume Ford and Chrysler, cannot allow that to be the
basis of their business decisions.  So, they have developed
sophisticated measuring equipment.  They can, and do, measure
'fit and finish' and performance of all aspects of all makes of cars
from all over the world.  GM has finally accepted the reality of the
importance of advertising and you will see how 'everyone' has
been mistaken :-) in some of their latest commercials.

The results are far and away more accurate than any opinion.
The bottom line here is the fabled Japanese quality is gained
far more from advertising than fact.  Bitter as the fact may be
to some, GM cars _measure_ higher quality across the board.
But, if you want to see the best in 'fit and finish' measurements
take a look at a BMW!

Just about everyone has anecdotal evidence concerning a single
given vehicle, or may be even a handful of vehicles.  But actual
measurements will tell the whole story and the simple fact is
'year for year GM vehicles _measure_ higher quality than the
Japanese imports.  Now if you want to say a 2005 Lexus is a
better made car than a 1965 Corvair ...
Ken P