<VV> Brakes done - Thanks to all

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 1 03:58:35 EDT 2009

Gentlemen,
	To all who have offered advise over the last two weeks - I'm out of
group red.  I don't know how the brakes will behave tomorrow, but I'm
out of group red.  It is 2:45 in the morning, but I am out of group
red.  The brake springs all around have been replaced, the shoes on
the back wheels and the passenger side front (to match the one on the
driver's side) have been replaced, the transmission pan bolts have
been re-torqued to 42 in. lbs. (a good medium between the recommended
3-4 ft. lbs.), and the thermostat plug in the Clark's ultimate pan
has been filled with the sender for the new oil temp gauge.
I drained the oil into a VERY clean pan after running the temp up to
about 140.  I examined the magnet on the drain plug (remember, it is
a Clark's ultimate that has the magnetic drain plug) and then ran a
60 lb. capacity magnet though the oil to collect any ferrous debris.
There was NOTHING.  It looks like the oil has stood up just fine to
the increased temps and there is no visible degradation of the
engine.  I know that this is no true analysis, but it seems as though
the engine is holding up just fine.  That said, I don't think that
anything over 260 is in my future.  When the gauge reaches that temp,
I'm going to shut her down.  Until I can get the second reading on
the new gauge, I'm playing it safe.

Thanks to all of you who have provided advise and pics... I couldn't
have done it without you.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car