<VV> Brakes pulling right and no light

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 2 02:14:04 EDT 2009

	Tested the brakes on the way to the NTCA meeting today.  The car is
veering to the right when the brakes are applied.  Of course, to my
layman mind, this means that the right front brake is stopping the
car better than the left front brake.   This may be the result of my
replacing only the left shoes last summer when I had the leaking
wheel cylinder.  Forgot that it is highly recommended to replace
shoes in pairs.  Even doing that, the car did not pull as bad as it
is now.  The left shoes only have about 500 miles on them, remember
that the car had been in group red for ten of the last twelve months
with the wiring harness issue.  When I put on the new springs, I
installed the set of shoes that were still in the box (from the set
that I used on the left side), on the right side.  Anyway, is there a
way to adjust the brakes to grab at the same pressure using the self
adjusting "star" wheel, or am I looking at yet another new set of
shoes up front?  One club member who is widely respected nationally
in the Corvair community said that would probably be the only way to
solve the problem.
	But hang on it gets better, and by that I really mean worse.   When
I was leaving the meeting, a fellow member called out to me at a stop
light.  It turned out that I did not have any brake lights!!  I
looked at the switch on the pedal and the arm does allow the switch
button to come all the way out (separated from contact with the
switch), the fuse is ok, and at least the parking lights do work.  It
would seem unlikely that both brake light filaments would tank at the
same time.  I did notice after reading in the manual that the
clearance between the pedal arm and the stop needs to be adjusted as
the arm is resting on the stop.  Don't know if this would/could cause
this symptom.  I loosened the securing nut, but I was apprehensive to
turn the bolt that goes though the tuning fork shaped attachment, the
part with the ridges but no nut for a wrench, because it looks like I
could screw up something inside of the rubber casing it goes into
that is located on the firewall.  Probably not, but given all that I
have gone through and what little I know, I ALWAYS ask first and
usually wait for at least two confirmations before proceeding.  Sorry
so long, but more information is better than less.

Stephen Upham