<VV> Working on brakes

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 3 00:17:18 EDT 2009

Hi Kurt, Closely inspect your brake drum and I suspect you will find
the break adjuster hole is there but has yet to be punched out.
Look closely for the oval outline on the drum front and then
carefully take a good sized punch or a large old slot headed screw
driver and tap firmly in the center of the oval to remove the oval
piece of brake drum and expose the adjuster hole.

Chuck Armer
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 09:16 PM 8/2/2009, you wrote:
>With all this talk about brakes, I decided to do a break job on my
>64, today.  I had new wheel cylinders, hoses, spring kits, and
>shoes.  So, I started in the front passenger side.  I took
>everything apart cleaned it and put it back together with the new
>parts.  The drum was cleaned and checked.  It also got new
>bearings.  Before putting the drum back on, I noticed the first
>problem; there was no break adjuster hole on the back plate nor the
>drum.  With no weay to adjust the star wheel, I decided to set it
>where I could just get the drum on and then back the star wheel back
>12 turns.  The drum was really hard to turn once on, so I turned the
>star wheel all the way in.  The drum was still very hard to
>turn.  Even with the wheel on, it takes a good bit of push to turn
>the wheel.  It was nothing like that before.  I took before and
>after pics of the springs installed, and I see no difference at
>all.  Can anyone see an issue with the pictures? (Before is on
>  the left and after on the right)  Does anyone know what I can try next?
>The pictures are at http://www.xoopit.com/s/215t4dh8emkkrud01ndx
>Thanks guys,
>kurT

CORSA Member