<VV> More Re: Brakes grabbing

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 3 21:28:26 EDT 2009

>Back in the late 50s ...

... we didn't have 85 mph traffic bumper to bumper on the interstates,
either.  Personal experience, eh, Ken?

I recall buying axle sets of shoes in the sixties for Dad's Morris
Minors (what are they, about 6" dual anchor brakes? -- I've seen golf
carts with bigger/better brakes) and replacing the four worst shoes on
both axles ... not that that is what is recommended, but more like it
was what was needed at the time.  Pulling was not the issue, stopping
was.  We lived near the top of a steep hill that "T"ed into Oregon Hwy
97 at a severe angle (cliff on the other side) -- what with, of those
times, the log trucks and all, not stopping was not a good option.
Intersection is still there, but they've moved Hwy 97, and log trucks?
What log trucks?  They used to carry one or two trees that would each
build a house or two with Select grade lumber.

Was very happy when I graduated to Corvairs and what were for the times
(and still are, when they work right) excellent brakes, esp those darn
late models.

Bill Strickland