<VV> Cylinder heads hot

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:23:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Stephen Till wrote:

> If I may suggest a laser thermometer pointed at the cylinder head. When I use to overhaul aircraft engines we us to check each cylinder head to watch CHT temp on engine break in. If you see a cylinder running lean you will see it with a laser thermometer. My thought is to isolate your CHT system from the engine. You could also point at each exhaust stack which will tell you if one cylinder is running leaner than another. Gauge systems will play games with your mind and are are not always correct. Just a idea.   Steve Till

Good idea but most laser thermometers do not have adjustable emmisitivity
and thus the item being measured needs to be dark or black for accurate
reading. Paint a THIN coat of black paint on a small spot on ea area you
wish to measure if they are reflective aluminum. Errors can be quite high.

regards,

frank