<VV> PG Upshifts Harsh

Phil Ellis ellispj at cogeco.ca
Fri Aug 7 19:51:59 EDT 2009

This will be a bit lengthy but here goes. [('65, 110, PG) ]. Ever since I
rebuilt and re-adjusted my carbs and linkages the PG transmission has very
harsh upshifts. Previously, it upshifted smoothly at about 22 MPH but now it
won't upshift until I take my foot of the accelerator (at any speed above 22
MPH) and it shifts very rough. The downshift is still fine. FYI, I have also
just replaced all of the rubber vacuum lines including the one at the Trans.
modulator just in case I had introduced a vacuum leak somewhere.

Upon reading the tech guide, there is a section that attributes a harsh
upshift to (amoung other things) "Incorrect carburetor-to-transmission TV
rod adjustment". Ah ha! A connection to the carb adjustments I had just
completed. So, I go to the 65 shop manual, page 7-32, under "Throttle Valve
Linkage Adjustment". This then refers you to Section 6M for the adjustment
procedure. However, when I go to 6M (Engine Fuel - Carburetors) I can't seem
to find any mention of TV rod adjustment.??

When I adjusted the carburetors there is an adjustment at the very end that
says to "hold the cross-shaft lever in the full throttle position and pull
the accelerator control rod rearward (on vehicles equipped with Powerglide,
pull through detent), and adjust the swivel on accelerator control rod until
it freely enters the hole in cross-shaft lever." I don't really know what
'detent' is so I pulled the accelerator control rod rearward as far as it
would go. Is there an issue in this adjustment?

What is the proper TV rod adjustment procedure for 1965?

Phil