<VV> squirrely, now snow cars

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 8 11:33:52 EDT 2009

>I've had Corvairs with studded snows at all four corners. Definitely a GREAT snow car! But then I got my first Subaru ...

Klamath Falls, Oregon, where I grew up, and frequently return to, is not
snow country like say Utica or Buffalo NY, but it does snow and it gets
cold, relatively. And there are mountains between here and there (not
hills) -- think Crater Lake, Mountain Hood, and the Mt St Helen's volcano.

Four studded snows on a Corvair are much better than two, and not all
four wheels drives are created equal, nor are their drivers, remember,
we used to be in the towing business.  Rigs with the automatic viscous
coupled transfer cases seem to be hard to beat when they have silica
rubber snow tires all the way around. The Rubysues are a great example
-- try to buy a used one in Klamath Falls.  I have an older Isuzu that I
really, really like for snow (and it has great A/C for the hottest days
-- a year round vehicle), but I have also driven Fieros over the winter
passes in rough weather and I'm still here to tell you that that may not
be the best choice, but I got there (and back).

I think one of the things that makes the rear engine cars so good in the
snow is the weight distribution when braking, meaning if you get on the
brakes a little hard (or need to) you don't automatically lock up the
steering axle first thing (here we are back to Corvair brakes) -- modern
front engine, regardless of drive end, is at a distinct disadvantage
without front axle anti-look / trac-control (it is the same thing,
sorta, just how it is programmed into the computer).  That Trooper
(above) is 2300# front axle, 2200# rear.

Bill Strickland

four (or is it five) Corvairs
three Fieros
a couple old BMC's