<VV> Corvairs in snow

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 8 13:24:33 EDT 2009

You can make anything 'go' in the snow -- recall previous mention of a
Fiero, front end too light, rear tires too wide & too bald, too low ...

Backing tractors up hills too steep to negotiate forwards is a very old
usage (they won't roll endo on top of you) -- probably dates to Tractor
#2 , earlier than the Model T.  Also reverse was/is generally a lower
gear ratio.  (companies used to offer special Model T rear ends for
folks that lived in the mountains -- low gears, two speeds, I don't know
what all -- I've heard the names, but don't recall any)

It is the stopping and steering that offer challenges.  Recall that
downhill stop that I mentioned a bit ago after the snow is packed down
and iced up -- didn't slow down the log trucks much, if any

I haven't decided whether or not to put the posi in the rampy project
for all season/surface usage, but I'm leaning that way.

Bill Strickland