<VV> A/C Question

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 9 21:26:06 EDT 2009

Hi Bob, Certainly DO NOT let the refrigerant leak out (as Jim suggests) as not is it  only illegal but R12 (Freon or dichlorodifloromethane) is a very scarce and valuable commodity thanks to the Montreal Protocol Act of 1988 and to the efforts of people like Al Gore. And once it's gone it's gone.The stuff boils (becomes gaseous) at 22 degrees F below 0. There are many  proper auto repair shops that would be more than happy to properly recycle the refrigerant and resell it and would probably be willing to do it free of charge. Right now I am charging $50 per pound for new R12 and have not been turned down once this summer by customers who own cars 1992 and older and want their A/C to work properly. And your Corvair holds 5 pounds! As you know there is more than enough hoses to just lay the compressor over to the side while you are working on the car. By the way what year and model is your A/C Corvair?
Timothy Shortle in (hot) Durango Colorado