<VV> 61 Loadside update

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Wed Aug 12 09:22:56 EDT 2009

All, Progress on the Loadside continues to be slow, but there is progress. I now have the jugs and pistons installed and everything looks good. Last week Thursday I took the heads out to my friends and did all the mill work on them. I first put the heads cylinder side down to mill the valve cover area. Both heads were warped up in the center. One about .020 and the other about .025. Then I flipped them over and milled .060 off the top of the head. I did this because later I was going to remove the .055 to .060 step for the head gaskets. I also removed the dimple in the combustion chamber that made them 9:1 110HP heads. I have not crunched the numbers yet but by removing the .060 step and with a .020 overbore I should get back somewhere between  8.5:1 and 9:1 I did all this in a standard mill. Then I moved into the CNC mill and used a circle frame program to remove the step for the head gaskets. Now all gasket. sealing areas should be within .0002 of being in the same plane. Now I need to bevel all the sharp corners and hopefully grind the valves and seats later this week. I also installed the new engine wiring harness to replace the burned up one and I powered up the electrical system last night and checked the system. All seems fine except for a couple connectors plugged into the wrong place and the windshield wipers have a dead short somewhere. I may diagnose that problem tonight. If all goes well maybe the truck will be ready to drive to Fire and Ice. That's all for now

Jamie
1961 Loadside
1966 Monza Convt.
1969 Monza Coupe