<VV> Odd engine noise in a 1965 140 HP Corsa

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Thu Aug 13 22:27:17 EDT 2009

At the Jacksonville convention I purchased a very nice
1965 Corsa convertible. It is a very early production
vehicle being built in late August, 1964. The Fisher body
number is 142. It may be the earliest known Corsa convert.
Check your numbers and post!

When my son, Paul, and I went down to Atlanta last week to
pick the car up it had developed an odd noise in the
engine. The seller assured me that he would make it right
with me regardless of the source of the noise. Seems a
well known local Corvair mechanic had rebuilt the whole
engine less than 3000 miles ago. Since Paul really wanted
to drive this car at the Woodward Dream Cruise here in
Detroit this weekend we decided to tear it down and see
what was going on. I thought it sounded like a dropped
valve seat. Paul thought it sounded like a rod bearing. It
took us less than a few hours to get the left side head
off the engine and take a look at the combustion chamber
area. No signs of valve seat movement - but there was a
very small bit of shiny metal in the #2 hole. It had left
many depressions on the face of the head. The piston
looked fine and the metal bit was removed. We then pulled
the blower cover to look at the rod ends for signs of a
burned bearing. No problem there, either. Do you guys
think that a little bitty piece of metal could have gotten
past the carb and entered the combustion chamber of the
head and bounced around a bit and made the noise that we
heard?

We are planning to take the head to a buddy's shop
tomorrow to remove the valves and get a better look at the
valve seat area. If no problems are noted we will then put
the whole thing back together again with new gaskets and
o-rings and head out to Woodward Avenue tomorrow night and
Saturday. Wish us luck! - Caveman Pete