<VV> Engine problem -- Help??

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 15 18:49:39 EDT 2009

Thanks for all the replies.  My answers to each are below:

Got a spare (known good) coil to try on it?
Later, JR

*-- Coil is brand new.  But, I can try another one tomorrow, however.
*
Check the small rubber hoses that connect the balance tube at the base of
the carburetors.  They may be dried out and hard.  This can cause a small
vacuum leak that upsets the mixture at idle and low rpm.  At higher rpms,
a small leak has minor effect.
John Ryall

*-- Brand new hoses. Verified as tight on the tubes.
*
I don't think I have enough information right now to be able to pin
point the problem, but for starters, I would look at the vacumn
advance.. If it is bad, it will cause stumbling acceleration, and if the
vacumn leak is bad enough it will upset the idle.

I think I would also check for fuel blockage.
Bob Bauer

*-- vacumn advance unit is new.  Also, this only happens when the engine
is hot...*

Possible air leak, most likely in the crossover tube connections.  At
least, that's my idea at the moment.  Second would be that the
distributor isn't tight and the timing went off.
RonH

*-- Just checked the distributor, it's tight...*

How about Vapor lock? When it quits, pull an air cleaner and see if the
accelerator pump puts out a nice full shot. If not, I'd bet the carbs
are close to empty. Have you checked either of the hose connections on
the feeder line to the fuel pump - the one under the front that goes
from the tank to the tube, then the one under the left rear wheel well
that feeds the tube into the pump? If they are old, they could be
introducing air into the line, also the heat could be heating the tube
in the rear. Timing set/checked with hose to vacuum advance removed and
plugged? Just a thought.
Seth Emerson

*-- Plenty of fuel. All the connections you mentioned are new and tight
(I replaced the hoses, and the filter by the left rear wheel when I
installed the engine).*

Any other ideas??  Remember, the problem only appears AFTER the car has
been driven and is fully warmed up...

One other bit of information I forgot to mention (this may have a
bearing) - I have at least one lifter, maybe two, that will not adjust.
I adjusted the valves on that head and when I tighten these two down
until they get quiet, then go 1/4 turn and wait, they get noisy again...
tighten another 1/4 turn to quiet, 10-15 seconds later they're noisy
again.  Nuts are new and are not loosening up.  Is it possible that I
have some valves mis adjusted enough so the engine runs well when cold,
but when it warms up, the valves are causing the problem??

Hmm, I just had a thought - maybe I should change the condenser.  I seem
to remember when I was racing my Mini in England that a faulty condenser
caused something quite similar to occur... Yes??  or no???

Jim Houston