<VV> Corvair being shown - was JC Penney

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 02:02:33 EDT 2009

Do you go to "cruise nights"?  Do they have them in your part of the
country.  In the Chicago suburban area you could go to one every night of
the week.  Some nights, you would have a choice between 3 or 4 of them.

In my part of the county, they are essentially a way to draw customers to
dying/hopefully being revived - downtown areas of older suburban towns.
Often, the "spectators" are families where the parents are too young to know
what the cars on display even are - or what it takes to keep them nice
enough to display.

I do participate, but not frequently.  I want the car (truck sometimes) to
be understood by younger folk, but I also hesitate because of unshielded
bicycle handlebars, belt buckles, ice cream cones, and other "hazards".  I
only mention those which have had a direct effect on my vehicles - always
negative.  To be upset by someone (uninvited) opening the engine compartment
or sitting on the "hood" (trunk deck) of my "very much loved" Corvair should
not surprise anyone on this list.

There is no compensation to car owners for displaying their vehicles.  In
fact, some towns actually charge a fee to display at their (BBB sponsored?)
event.  I know, I'm skirting the rules with that comment, but I had to say
it for perspective purposes.  If you wish to comment on that particular
aspect - please go to TALK.  I do not participate there.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140