<VV> Re <VV >Jets

rnehilliard at netscape.net rnehilliard at netscape.net
Tue Aug 18 20:56:47 EDT 2009

Bob,
I have a 64?GB?W/95?4sp, 3.55:1, A/C, and 66?carbs?w/ some?improvements. ?51 jets are about right, it does run a bit lean on a long hill at 70 mph with the a/c?on. ?I have a duel?air/fuel?gauge so I see when it is lean or rich. ?I have been working to improve the?carbs?with the help of a friend in?NTCA. ?Even 66?carbs?do not give a?consistent?a/f ratio.?

Ron Hilliard

Plano,TX ?NTCA & CORSA

Okay, gang, what is the collective wisdom on the correct jets to use in

my carburetors?  Here are the particulars:

Vehicle:  1963 Rampside, 4-speed, 3.89:1 rear, stock-size tires.

Engine:  164-cid 95-hp rebuild on universal block.  Cylinder heads are
3878569.  Stock cam, stock 310 distributor.

Fuel:  Pump premium.

Use:  Occasional "driver," more use than a show car but less use than a
modern car.  Driven on all types of roads, local, secondary, highway.
About half the time actually carrying some sort of cargo.  I drive like
an old man on local and secondary roads, but on the Interstates I haul
a** so as to not be a moving chicane.

At the moment, the truck is running with the original worn-out 1963
carbs.  But I have a nice pair of 1966 carb cores to rebuild.  I have an
idea of what jet size I might use, but I am curious as to what others
might select.

--Bob