<VV> Oil Pressure

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Aug 20 07:30:24 EDT 2009

First, it is important to verify the actual pressure with a known gauge.  Under racing conditions 10 psi per thousand RPM is sufficient.  Under street operating conditions your 25 to 27 psi [if actual] should provide years of satisfactory service.

The oil pressure relief spring does not come into play until the oil pressure in the system exceeds its pressure value.  One might put a higher value spring in an engine to supply enough pressure for racing RPMs but not for street use.   Should the engine be worn to the point of not reaching that value, changing the spring would have little effect.  Increasing pressure on a severely worn engine would require a higher volume oil pump.  The drawback with increasing either volume / or pressure is an increase in oil temperature ... Not a desired condition especially in air cooled engines.
Ken P

dpross1342 at aol.com wrote:

I have a 1967 110HP with  oil pressure & oil temperature gauges, both
VDO electric. The pressure sender has an auxiliary ground.
When running, and the oil temp is about 180 degrees, the pressure runs
between 25-27 PSI, and stays there, even if the oil temperature rises
to over 200+ degrees. Since the factory spec is 35 PSI, is the lower
oil pressure at risk of damaging my engine?
I also would like to know if anyone has had experience with the higher
pressure relief springs sold by Clarks? Is there
a greater chance of oil leaks, particularly around that complex
casting where the oil filter is attached?
Thanks for any feedback.
Don Rossbach
dpross1342 at aol.com