<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 55, Issue 87

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 09:53:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/24/2009 7:29:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
arlettecarl at hotmail.com writes:

as I  understand it the 1966 A/C Condenser installation does not provide
for very  good engine cooling in the way that the earlier condenser designs
did.

I understand that installing a condenser in the 1966 position  will most
certainly cause the engine to run hotter and as a result causes a  faster rate
of engine wear.

>From my experience BOTH positions affected engine cooling somewhat because
both added the condenser heat load to the cooling air before it got to the
cooling fan.  The '65 and earlier had a housing that ensured that almost
all the air went through the condenser first and the '66 and later used high
density foam strips to seal the edges to cause most of the air to pass
through  it first.  When you add in the extra load of the compressor on the
engine  then I would agree that an AC equipped engine would have a potentially
shorter  life.  But I doubt that the condenser location had any
effect--certainly  not as much as proper maintenance--which is much easier to perform on
the cars  with the '66 and '67 style condenser.

Bob Hall