<VV> Fwd: A/C Condensers in Corvairs/Riley Book

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 09:10:49 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/26/2009 9:02:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, HallGrenn
writes:

Carl,

I appreciate the feedback.  I haven't read Riley's book, but I will  see if
I can find a copy.  And if anyone has any SAE or GM information  please let
me/us know.  My comments are based mostly on my experience  with 65 and 66
AC cars and the comments of the local Chevy dealer AC mechanic  who was
generous with his time when I was swapping an engine in a '66 AC sedan  that
caught fire when the harmonic balancer failed.  The car  overheated (caused by
the prior owner ignoring idiot lights--loose nut behind  the wheel).  The
mechanic's only positive comment on the 65 and  earlier condenser (and I
agree) was that if the engine shrouding had  deteriorated (or been left off by
previous work) that the boxed-in earlier  condenser kept the car cooler (not
the engine of course) because the  condenser still got full air flow--even
though not as cool--while engine  seal leaks allowed outside air to bypass the
66 and 67 condensers so the AC  wasn't as effective.  Any GM papers our
there on effects on the  engine?

Do we have an AC chapter with more info?

Bob