<VV> Front Crossmember

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Aug 30 19:45:13 EDT 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:53 PM, Jim Steigerwaldt wrote:

> I have a 1966 Monza, whose front crossmember had to be replaced, for
> which I removed. I had another one which I had sand-blasted and
> painted with Por-15. The question is,Is their a trick to getting the
> spring and shocks mounted, I'm having no luck so far.
> TIA

You didn't say exactly what the problem was, Jim. I'm sure others will
chime in here, but I'll say this. When I rebuilt my front suspension I
did it all off the car, then put it in, all at once. I didn't really
have any trouble with anything. But I was using springs that had been
cut, one coil, which makes them shorter, and therefore easier to get
in. With stock springs you might need to use a coil spring compressor.
I'm not sure what the shop manual says. I hope you have a shop manual
and have been using it.

I will add that others on this forum have said it was easier to
install just the crossmember in the car, then put the pieces on it. I
can see how this might be easier. This way, you can use the weight of
the car to compress the springs by putting a floor jack under the A-
arm and lifting it which will compress the spring and allow you to
attach the ball joints and get the shocks in.

I hope this is what you meant and that this will help you out. Look
for other posts and opinions.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman