<VV> Synthetic transmission flu (some tech, some humor...hey, it's me...)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 31 01:19:47 EDT 2009

Can't intelligently speak to the syn/reg mixture question, but the
dip stick reading is pretty cut and dry.  First, put a 1/2 gallon
size container of the tranny fluid that someone on this list will
invariably recommend.  The level needs to be checked after the engine
and transmission have reached operating temperatures - fifteen or
twenty minutes of in-town driving should do unless the ambient
temperature is below 60, then you probably need to drive it
"spritedly" for another ten to fifteen minutes.  Put the tranny in
neutral, put on the emergency brake and check the level.  If it is
low, add fluid.  The space between the low and high on the stick is 1
quart.  If it doesn't read at all, thank your lucky stars that you
have made it this far and not made any hard right turns, and add 1/2
a quart at a time until you start to get a reading on the stick.
Then add 1/2 a quart at a time until you get a "normal" reading.
Don't over fill!!  It won't harm the tranny, but you will never ever
get an accurate reading again until you let the car set for a few
weeks and the transmission fluid begins to leak out of a broken cable
sleeve until it is back to normal or below again or you disconnect
the filler tube and drain the contents (PITA, not hard, but very
messy unless you practice a lot - ask me how I know...ggg) .  PG's
they were the best of trannys, they were the most aggravating of
trannys.  Mine is finally not kicking like a mule when coming to a
slow stop, and actually leaks very little, now.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car

Message: 5