<VV> custom 4 speed shifter?

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Aug 31 11:08:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:01 AM , Bryan Blackwell wrote:

> I believe there were a couple made for earlies - but just the lever/
> base assembly.  There was also a floor shift conversion for PGs.
> That's all I'm aware of in "kit" form.  Some of the V8 guys have built
> custom units using the side covers from front engine Saginaw
> transmissions, but it's not a small project.
>
> --Bryan
>
> On Aug 31, 2009, at 3:06 AM, Ray Rodriguez (Grymm) wrote:
>
>>     I was just working on the interior of my 65 corsa project car
>> and I got to wondering..  are there any options out there for custom
>> 4 speed shifters for corvairs?  Hurst, B&M, etc?  I couldnt find
>> anything on this so I'm guessing there isnt anything available...

Not that long ago there was a 4-speed shift linkage using heavy sheathed
cables that was engineered for vans, for those who demanded a perked up
engine with a 4-speed gearbox for their paisley covered rolling motel.
The shift linkage had a bracket which mounted underneath the floor which
supported a shifter (which you supplied, Muncie, Hurst, Mr Gasket,
whatever) with attachment points for the cables leading back to the
transmission which also had a similar sheath mount bracket which
attached to the side cover.

The cables had trunions that attached to the shift levers on any regular
big-3 supplied 4-speed gearbox (Sag, Muncie, BW T-10, Mopar A833,
Dearborn toploader etc).    It wasn't all that cheap but it was nicely
done and got good reviews in a couple of hotrodding mags.

I'd thought several times that this would be made to order for a 'Vair
with a V8 in the back seat, especially if the driver wanted a shifter
with a more solid feel than what's going to be available using current
rube goldberg mechanisms.    ...and that van 4-speed conversion shifter
reviewed in the one mag that had a Hurst shifter hooked to it appeared
pretty well done with muscular cables that looked perfectly capable of
standing up to the most ham-fisted driver.

...maybe look in van accessories places rather than performance car
spots.

tony..