<VV> Scrapping the Astro I show car

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Dec 1 06:57:19 EST 2009

I, for one, am not at all surprised.  I knew about this when it was happening because I know you, Pete, and I know Stu ... both are 'get-it-done' kind of guys.  As a GM engineering employee for 42.5 years I know that, especially back then, GM had lots of real 'car' guys.  And I say THANKS for a job well done.
Ken P

*******************************

"peter koehler" <pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net> wrote:

The story has a happy ending. The Astro I was delivered to
my residence in Farmington Hills and stayed there for less
than a week. This is where Stu Shuster took over. He let
it be known at Design Staff (where he was employed by GM
as a designer) that we (the Corvair Club) had their (Chuck
Jordon is very possessive of his creations) show car!
Somehow Stu got Chuck Jordon to approve some funds ($25k?)
to repaint and repair the aging beauty. I delivered the
car to the GM Tech Center in Warren with my old 1977
Caprice station wagon and a borrowed trailer. The next
time we all saw the Astro I it was beautiful again.

Stu should get all of the credit for saving the Astro I.
It seems amazing to me now that we actually pulled this
stunt off! - Pete K