<VV> Pinkish

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 1 09:50:12 EST 2009

As I recall, there was more to the story on Pinky than just the car. If
memory serves me right, there were around 6 built, but Pinky's tranny was
the only one to escape the factory. I think they were thinking of using it
in the Tempest or some other application. Then the factory burned down, and
that was the end of it. It was mostly a turbohydro internally, so most
everything that might eventually need repair/replacement would have been
available over the counter. The real prize would have been the shifter
mechanism that went with it. Without that, it might indeed have been a huge
doorstop.

And talk about a doorstop. One person I know has sitting in his living room
the transaxle from the V-8 powered LM Corvair that Chevy built as a test
mule in the mid '60's. They were seriously experimenting with putting a V-8
in the car to compete with the Mustang, but things quickly got out of hand
with it. So they decided it was easier to just rebody the Chevy II/Nova
just like Ford did the Falcon to come up with the Mustang.

-Mark

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/