<VV> Opinion on rear coil springs

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Dec 1 17:12:17 EST 2009

I currently have 64 rear springs on my 63 Spyder convertible. I do not have
the transverse leaf spring. The rear A-arms are 63 with no leaf spring
mountings. The 64 a-arms that I have "in stock" are too worn to be used. The
rear end of the car sags and I have excessive wear on the inside of the rear
tires due to the excessive camber. I need to remedy this situation before I
purchase new tires.

I was just given a set of springs from a 63 2-door hard top. I know that the
63 convertible uses stronger springs. But these are my thoughts:

1.         The 64 springs are less stiff because the leaf spring handles
some of the support, thus a sagging rear end (the car, not me) Adding the
leaf spring would require me to purchase and install 64 A-arms and leaf
spring hardware. I have a leaf spring and 64 differential.

2.         Purchase new 63 convertible springs at around $50.00 each. Best
case scenario but I would rather not spend the money right now.

3.         The "new" 63 hard top springs are stiffer than the 64 and will
bring the rear end up along with reducing the camber, but not perfect.
However I have them in stock and there will be no cost, just labor.

I intend to do option #3 since it will cost me nothing but labor for now.
Eventually, I intend to re-install the 64 springs and install the leaf
spring once I get a full time job

and can justify the expense.

Your opinions are welcome

Dave thompson