<VV> Transmission problem...

Cash Case cash.case at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 3 08:59:46 EST 2009

Hi guys,
I mentioned a few months ago that I had a strange transmission
problem.  The gears whined in 2nd and 4th.  And it just got worse.  I
had just 3 months earlier replaced the clutch and fly wheel (Solid fly
wheel) and I wondered if the solid fly wheel was the problem. I
finally got some serious under the car time and was going to pull the
transmission and replace it.  I'm still going to do that, but I
decided to see if I could pull the transmission without taking the
motor out, so I disconnected everything from the front of the
transmission.  The under side of the transmission was wet so I was
concerned.  It appeared to be leaking from the shift rod that comes
out of the front of the transmission. I remember asking if the backup
light switch at the bottom of the transmission would leak fluid out if
I pulled it out.  This one is damaged.  The answer I got was that it
would indeed leak.  That made perfect sense.  After all it goes into
the transmission case.  I pull it out expecting a flood of gear lube.
It just trickled out very little fluid.

I think this is why the gears are whining.    2nd and 4th must be in
a  position that they get starved of lube first when things get low.
I've purchased a transmission rebuild kit from Clarks and I have a
spare transmission that's going into the car for now.  I'll rebuild
this one.

How can I tell if the gears are too worn or not to rebuild when I tear
into this one?

1965 Corsa
Greenbriar van (hopefully)  ;op
-Cash