<VV> CORSA

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Dec 3 19:17:24 EST 2009

I don't think the membership demographics are the same, but I do
(begrudgingly)  belong to a club that has dues similar to what you
suggest... so why did I join if I thought the dues were outrageous? Because
the community makes sure that you can't get technical information otherwise.

Sure, you can get product catalogs and workshop manuals from vendors, etc,
but you will not find free technical advice, tech drawings, etc... the kind
of answers many of us come here for (or the Corvair Center, etc). The
community tightly self-policies itself so that you can't get ANYTHING
outside of their website (which is accessible by membership in the club
only)

Now, once you're there, members and technical advisors freely dispense
advice, help, etc... in the end you really do feel like it's worth the money
because you get something valuable in return.

The size is somewhat similar as well (about 9000 members) but only about
6000 of those are in the US. They have a great magazine as well... but ours
is better!!!  By the way, this national membership automatically includes
membership in the local club, so there is no local struggle to get
members... and people tend to participate in events because they feel they
are already paying a premium to get to do so.

Now this is the exact opposite model of our community... where technical
information, this email group, etc, is widely available and free... I guess
the general idea is freely providing the information will encourage more
general Corvair ownership and therefore more CORSA membership. Not a bad
model and one which is time proven... but then the other club has a seven
figure account balance and could almost operate off the interest...

Your suggestion would transform CORSA into something more like the other
club, BUT I think it could only be successful if there were no alternative
places to get the information...

Anyway, just some food for thought...

Bill
ps... we think it's crazy that a Corvair would be worth $15k... and yet that
will barely buy a new Honda Civic... stripped