<VV> Interesting item on Ebay

jryall jryall at juno.com
Thu Dec 3 19:30:31 EST 2009

There is an interesting item on Ebay.  Item 190354055347 is a Chevy V8
adapted to a Pontiac Tempest powerglide and suspension, which appears to
be Tempest swing axle.  This might be a good package for someone
interested in a mid engine with automatic conversion.  As I recall, the
tempest had a slant 4 which was half of the then current V8.  I don't
know if the early Tempests came with a V8, but maybe the ring gear is
more robust than the Corvair's.  With the close coupling of the engine
and the transaxle, the engine should sit well back in the rear seat area,
leaving plenty of room for long legs and a pair of stock seats.  I'll
give the usual disclaimers that I have no financial interest in this
item, just thought I'd mention it to see what ideas others might have.

John Ryall