<VV> The future of publishing?

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Fri Dec 4 08:43:39 EST 2009

I love my Communiques, and my Quarterlies, and my Windmills, and my
CORSA News, and my Turbo-Aire Topics, and my CORSA News -
Preliminaries, and my Preliminary Newsletters. Yes, I have the whole
set of CORSA publications, except for the first one after Preliminary
#4, the unnamed, Volume 1 Number 1, September 1970, "This Monthly
Bulletin is not yet permanently named.", which I would pay dearly for.

But what is the future of publishing? Everyone thinks CORSA should
reduce expenses, but there's really not much left to cut. Contrary to
some opinions, the Directors don't get expenses anymore, etc., etc.
Certainly the publication of the Communique is a major expense.

Converting the Communique to an all-electronic format, e-mailed to
members would save a lot of money, but none of the money required to
create the Communique. Nevertheless, in a hundred years, "publication"
won't be at all like it is today, I think we all would agree with
that. How soon this conversion happens, I don't know.

To understand what is going on in this area you may be interested in
these two news articles:

http://tinyurl.com/y89npce

http://tinyurl.com/yhj78ht

Bruce