<VV> CORSA future

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 4 11:15:44 EST 2009

Greetings,

An interesting discussion.  Certainly there is some change that is
inevitable, regardless of whether we like it or not, but I think a
couple of facts about CORSA are worth mentioning that get lost
sometimes:

  - CORSA is not supported by any manufacturer or other large
corporation.
  - CORSA is a single marque club for a car that's no longer produced.
  - CORSA has a real staffed office.
  - CORSA produces a monthly magazine.

There really aren't a lot of clubs of any kind that fit that
criteria.  Think about it - the BMW club is sponsored by BMW, Jaguar
club by Jaguar, etc.  Most other car clubs are either broad based
across many years (Classic Chevy Club) and/or models (Good Guys), or
support a car that's still in production (Corvette Club).  The last
two items above (office and magazine) are the big parts of the CORSA
budget, so really most options boil down to:

  - Cut costs by going on line and eliminating print expenses.
  - Cut costs by relying on volunteers instead of paid staff.
  - Partner with some other group.
  - Don't give up anything and raise dues.

I read a lot of posts that boil down to "somebody else needs to
volunteer".  I also read posts that boil down to "I don't like the job
the current people do (paid or volunteer).  I rarely see anyone post
"I will volunteer to do the following."  When I do, those who follow
up - who really take the bit in their teeth and dig - is a small
fraction of that.  Those people get my applause.

I have read many posts bemoaning the CORSA web site.  There was a post
recently looking for volunteers to do something about it.  This isn't
rocket science, you want something better, go make it happen.  Don't
come to me and say "Bryan, I think you need to do this."  Instead,
walk into the bathroom, look in the mirror and say "I'm going to do
this."  Anybody who can successfully put a 40+ year old car on the
street can pretty much do anything they put their mind to.  Don't look
at what you can't do, look at what's possible.

--Bryan