<VV> "Fixed" Incomes - NO CORVAIR - Humor-ish

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Fri Dec 4 11:46:44 EST 2009

Well, there are "fixed incomes" and fixed incomes.  Generally the term
refers to incomes with no cost of living (COL) adjustments. The term could
as easily apply to someone employed or someone retired.

For most retirees at least some part of income is COL adjusted.
In fact Social Security benefits rise a little faster than inflation because
of a slight mathematical quirk in the calculation.  Investment income, on
the other hand, varies depending on the economy and the investment
strategies employed.

Just a few comments on some posts I've read.  Since I don't want to get into
a debate I won't use name.  :)

If your investments are still down 40%, get a new strategy or a new
financial adviser.  The 40% figure represents the lowest point in the market
around the beginning of the year.  As an example my investments in equities
are down around 15% from their highest point and are still coming up.

Framing required membership in some sort of Libertarian mode clearly leaves
out two principles of that model -- personal responsibility and the "rights"
of private organizations to set their own rules.  Think of it as
Pay-to-play.  If you want the benefits of the organization you should be
responsible enough to pay.  If an organization wishes to impose some charge
for the services provided...

Finally, I don't understand why someone would resign from the club because
they are upset that other's don't contribute.  That seems to me to allow
others to define your own choices.  If the club provides value to you, then
it shouldn't matter what other people feel.

Of course in all of this Your Mileage May Vary.  As for me, I'll continue to
pay dues.  I'd support any steps taken to provide value-added to membership
by restricting or limiting benefits to non-members.

Ken