<VV> Who will do it? :)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Dec 5 12:53:00 EST 2009

Regarding format - it depends a little on the intent.  PDFs are great
if the goal is to replicate the "feel" of the original.  However,
there are two ways I can see to do that.

First - the hard way - would be to OCR all the text, scan the images,
then lay out the magazines as they were.  This would allow both for
searching and browsing.

Second would be to image scan them one page per image and put all the
images into a PDF, one per issue.  While they would look just like the
originals, you'd need a separate reference to find things.

The third way to capture them wouldn't look much like the original
magazines, but would offer the most utility to someone looking for
something with no reference.  That would be to OCR scan the text,
image scan the pictures, then load each issue into a Wiki, perhaps
organized by issue.  Problem is you can't just print out a copy that
looks like the original, but it would be fully searchable, so if you
want to find all the references to Smitty, it would be easy.  Another
advantage to a Wiki is that many people can edit, so other folks could
add comments at the bottom, make corrections, etc.  This is what I was
suggesting.

--Bryan